Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Sweetheart, this is why people go postal


The florist thoughtfully asked my mother to remind me about an important detail: check with the Hall or the caterer to ensure that whatever tablecloths we're renting do NOT have patches.

Wow.

See, the thing about wedding planning isn't the major decisions. It's the thousand and one details. Will your ceremony be moving and spiritual? Will the guests feel relaxed and uplifted? Who cares? The REAL question is who's in charge of taking the slip-covers off the chair seat-backs at the end of the night

It never would have occured to me that one would have to specify for tablecloths that were not rejected from Barnum & Bailey's Tent Recycling and Reclaimation Project. Gotta be on your toes.

This reminds me of a story my friend Dana told me about her wedding. They went up to the San Juan Islands, or somewhere off Washington State. Basically, they were surrounded by water.

So she makes all the arrangements for food, bevvies, and cake. Mind you, Dana's a level-headed and thoughtful gal--no feather-headed princess bride--and she was pretty sure they were covered.

The day of the wedding, she finds out the caterer has not provided cutlery to slice and serve the wedding cake. She hadn't asked for them specifically, you see.

"Sweetheart," the caterer rasps over the phone, "This is why people hire wedding planners."

I'm bringing my own cutlery to the Columbus ceremony. See photo, above.

Comments:
Patches? We don't need no stinkin' patches! -- RW
 
I loved this post, funny, short and very relatable. The small details are the most worrying part of wedding arrangements. We learned this at my elder daughter’s wedding some years ago. My younger girl’s wedding is next month at the event space Atlanta, and this time we’ve hired a wedding planner. She’s a thoroughly professional lady but also very friendly and patient.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]